Pizza with aubergine & sausage
350 g flour
2 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2 l warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots or red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
700 g fresh or canned pomedori tomatoes
Salt & pepper
Fresh herbs like thyme, oregano, rosemary or tarragon (optional)
Dried herbs are also possible but will taste less strong
1 green pepper
½ aubergine, cut into long / small strips
200 g slices of sausage (e.g. pepperoni)
150 g grated cheese
1 onion, small rings 2 tablespoons corn
- Start with the pizza crust; Stir the yeast, salt and some pepper in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the water and oil. Add and stir the meal gradually until you have a soft dough. Mix the dough for about 10 minutes (on a worktop covered with some flour) until it’s firm and elastic. If it becomes too dry, add some warm water.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, then cover it and leave to rise until the volume has doubled.
- Prepare the tomato sauce; Heat the olive oil in the BraaiMaxx wok. Fry shallots and garlic.
- Add and stir tomatoes and oregano. Leave to cook (low heat) and add extra herbs if desired. Leave for about 5 minutes and let the sauce cool down.
- Grill peppers on all sides and put them in a plastic bag. Leave for about 10 minutes. Peel skin off the peppers and cut into small, long strips.
- Cover aubergine with some olive oil, peper and salt. Grill on the barbecue.
- Split the dough into two pieces. Roll out into two nice round pizzas. Use flour to prevent sticking.
- Cover the pizza with tomato sauce and leave about 1cm on the edge.
- Divide pepper, aubergine, shallot, corn and sausage over the pizza.
- Spread grated cheese and sprinkle the pizza with some olive oil.
- Place on the pizza stone and grill with dome closed for about 4 to 5 minutes until cheese has melted and the crust is golden brown.