- 2kg leg of lamb, with the skin and fat trimmed off
- 2 cloves of garlic, slivered
- Half of a pickled lemon, cut into strips
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon dried coriander seeds
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Salt and black pepper
- Sprigs of rosemary, optional
Make deep incisions all over the lamb and push garlic slivers, pickled lemon and rosemary sprigs (if using) into the cuts. Combine remaining ingredients and rub half of the mixture onto the lamb. Place lamb in large shallow dish, cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
Preheat the BBQ over medium heat. Place the lamb on the lightly oiled grid. Cover with the lid and roast for half an hour over moderate heat. Spread the remaining mixture over the lamb, cover and continue roasting for a further half an hour, or until the lamb is cooked to your liking. Allow the roast to stand for a minimum of 10 minutes before carving.
NOTE: Basting during the roasting should be done as quickly as possible to minimise heat loss. For extra flavour and aroma, scatter a few whole cinnamon sticks and bay leaves around the BBQ when cooking